Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What can be done for a dog with Lung Cancer


What can be done for a dog with Lung Cancer?
I just found out this morning that my dog who's been coughing a lot and coughing up blood has cancer. My previous dog died of liver cancer, and I was simply wondering if theres anything that could be done for a dog with lung cancer.
Dogs - 9 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Check with your vet and see what options you have for trying to fight it. But most of the time, when the cancer has got to the lungs, they dont have much time. Treatments will only extend their lives shortly, but there is no cure. Miracles do happen though. If you want, try the dog on the treatment (if vet suggests its), and see what her quality of life becomes. Just remember that life is about quality not quantity. Good Luck! Im sorry!
2 :
Sure, there is... surgery. But it will be costly. Talk to your vet. Good luck, I hope your dog gets better soon!
3 :
Animals have a hard time tolerating cancer treatments, and they don't often prolong their lives too much. Make sure you get all the information from your vet. If the treatment is expensive and painful, it's probably best to put the dog down. Make sure you're doing what's best for the dog, not for your conscience.
4 :
well maybe you should spend alot of time with it show it that you love him. You dont want him to move on thinking that he was forgotten.
5 :
Their is always chemo, but by the way your telling us that he is bringing up blood it sounds as if it is too late. I am sorry but I would not let him suffer if I was you. It is more than likely time to start saying goodbye and let him go with dignity rather than suffering like I`m sure he is. Remember dogs tend to not show signs of pain but can be suffering. I am so sorry for you both and will keep you in my prayers Good Luck and God Bless
6 :
Unfortunately, if it's in his lungs it has probably traveled from another cancer site somewhere else in his body. And, once it's in the lungs there's really nothing much you can do for him :( Try to keep him comfortable if that's possible, and believe me (I've been there), heroic efforts to save their lives are lost on dogs. They live in the moment and don't understand why they're having to go through a lot of pain - they don't know that it's supposed to make them feel better. Just love on him and spend as much time with him as you can. But, it does sound like he's in the final stages, so let him go before it gets too bad. Hugs to you and your boy.
7 :
Sometimes it's best to euthanize a dog. Do it before he suffers much longer. Making it suffer treatments and such, most of the time to no avail, is very cruel in my opinion.
8 :
No I don't think so as once it gets to the lungs it's pretty bad..I'm sure he has it elsewhere..I had a 2 die from cancer also and any death is hard to take..Enjoy your time with him now and treat him extra special,I'm sorry
9 :
If your local vet thinks it's appropriate, ask you local vet for an urgent referral to a canine oncologist. I had a Dobermann diagnosed with aggressive skin cancer who lived for an addition 3.5 years with treatment by a team of excellent oncologists. Treatment is determined on a case by case basis & it may be that palliative treatment is the best way forward for your dog, while it has a good quality of life. Best wishes to you & your dog.




 Read more discussions :