Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What are my chances of getting lung cancer when my father and his brother died from lung cancer


What are my chances of getting lung cancer when my father and his brother died from lung cancer?
My father was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2003 and passed away in 2004. His brother who is my uncle also died from lung cancer 6 months after my father died. There is a high chance of me getting it too? My father also has a sister but she's healthy as for now. I do not smoke and my parents were divorced since I was small, I usually wasnt around when my dad smoked.
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
They'll be lower if you avoid the triggers and associated things: quit smoking, stop breathing asbestos and those chemical fumes ... etc There is an increased risk of you getting lung cancer compared to the general population, but it isn't as high as 50-50. Talk with your family doctor about it.
2 :
If your father and uncle were smokers, that would have caused the cancer. If you were subjected to your father's air borne smoke, you could possibly develop lung cancer. That would depend on how much passive smoking you were subjected to. Do you smoke?? If you do, give it up now.
3 :
Hi, before seeing your note I've read that lung cancer has increased, and this can relate to air pollution as well as other factors. Vitamin D has been in the internet news lately for helping with cancer, MS and other things. I've a cancer survivor of many years, and here's my info. at http://www.soulwellmall.com/cancer.html I posted info. on cancer for a couple other posters with questions here also, and then found more links to questions like yours. Hope things go well for you. Monica
4 :
Just prevent and get medical tests every 6 months. Doctors are always asking about your parents diseases before they have you medical story, so this mean there is a chance.



 Read more discussions :