Saturday, June 4, 2011

Has anyone here had a dog that had lung cancer


Has anyone here had a dog that had lung cancer?
My dog was diagnosed with lung cancer and we're very afraid. She is having surgery tomorrow to remove the growth. We'd like to know more about this - how long will she be in pain? Will surgery get rid of the cancer? Does it recur in dogs, like with humans?
Dogs - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I had a dog with lung cancer. Since the dog was 12, we decided not to do the surgery and simply keep her comfortable and enjoy the time we had left with her. Lung cancer in dogs acts the same way it does in humans. While I don't want to depress you, it is unlikely that surgery will get rid of it all. If there is a veterinary college near you, sometimes they can also do chemotherapy on dogs. It is usually free at a veterinary college. Chemo has the same side effects on dogs as it does in humans. Nausea and hair loss. Surgery may give her some extra time and quality of life. Enjoy the time you have with her. You will know what to do when the time comes. I'm so sorry.
2 :
hi actualy my cousin had a indoor dog who had lung cancer it was my aunt darlin's new husband's dog and he smoked constantly before they got married. The dog got it from second hand smoke. I'm very sorry but he ended up dieing anyway. I hope your dog does much better and I'm sure it will because they didn't find any cancer untill it was too late in sparkey(her dog). I hope all goes well. remember god loves you
3 :
Oh my God. God bless you and your precious dog. My Golden, LadyLou, got bone cancer. She did not survive. From what i have learned from the oncologists, and my Vet, yes, it can spread, in fact if it is in the lung, it very well may have metastasized from somewhere else. Dogs do not respond to chemo and radiations like people do, and it is VERY hard on them. I hate to be typing this stuff, but you guys have got to really think this through, think about the quality of your precious dog's life, they cannot tell you how sick the meds make them feel. My dad was dying of lung cancer at the same time as LadyLou was getting diagnosed, and he said this, He said do not put her through the treatment, she does not understand,and it is horrible. I am so sorry, the prognosis is not good, they do not recover from lung cancer, only might live a while longer. Please don't let your dog suffer.
4 :
My son spent $1000 at the vet's for his cat and it died anyhow. If you had put this question on earlier, I would've advised you to either leave the dog alone, or get his lights put out when she's in pain.
5 :
Sorry, I don't know much about this. But the only thing I want to say that, I'll pray for your dogy. God bless u all.




 Read more discussions :