Sunday, August 24, 2008

Can Lung Cancer Affect You Mentally or Physically or Both


Can Lung Cancer Affect You Mentally or Physically or Both?
I am working on a lung cancer research paper and I need to find out if it affects you mentally or physically or both. I can't find any infomation online about it. As much infomation would be much appreciated.
Cancer - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
my ex gfs father got it and 5 days after diagnoses he was gone its a very quick thing man
2 :
Both. If a person has lung cancer, that is a limited amount of oxygen to the brain, which makes one think un clear. Of course the physical would be effected. If you can't breath good, you're not going to do good at all.
3 :
When you are told you only have a few months to live, it does affect you mentally. You feel removed, abandoned, disconnected. Even if the lung cancer hasn't metastasized to the brain you still function poorly after the official dx. Once the cancer is faced and you decide to fight then a different perspective of mental well being unfolds. It took me about 2 weeks to snap out of the idea that I was already a walking dead woman and decided to fight and live. Now my mental state is fine other than the fact that its something I can never put completely out of my mind. Every little ache and pain makes me wonder if my cancer is spreading. It can wear a person down. It can prevent proper sleep and in turn affect you mentally in certain judgements. Physically I am fine. I went thru 6 rounds of chemo nearly 1.5 years ago, and that wasn't even too bad for me. It is more difficult to work as I used to, being shorter on breath than I used to be makes it hard to work for long periods. I still go hiking, play outside with my dogs, work at my job (its a physical job) altho my work load has lessened. ( I am self employed). So for me, I wouldn't even know I have lung cancer if I wasn't dx'd. The chemo I did created more problems than the cancer itself, other than the fact that my prognosis is death within a short time... I am doing pretty good!!! As my cancer progresses, if I can't keep it contained any longer, there will be problems with low oxygen, fatigue, and all round poor health. If you have any questions that I can help you answer, feel free to email me.
4 :
I agree with the previous answers and would like to add that if the cancer spreads to the brain...that also affects a person mentally as well. The person may be forgetful, hard to arouse and their whole personality could change as the cancer spreads. So yes, lung cancer affects a person mentally when diagnosed and again if the cancer spreads to the brain. Good luck on your paper.
5 :
Matthew, this does take a toll on a person. It affects you physically because it is trying to take over your body. It is something that is growing inside of you. You are going to have to have surgery and or chemotherapy. The medications also take a toll on the persons body. They will usually get sick from the chemo and they won't want to eat anything. This will cause the weight loss. The way that this will affect someone mentally is you are pretty much sad all of the time. You are so tired. It is very hard to get out and go places because of all the sicknesses that are out there. So boredom comes into play and you really need to get out. I would always feel so bad for my mom. She was not one to stay at home, and this pretty much made her very depressed. So, I hope this will help you a little bit. Good luck on you paper.
6 :
yes just the stress of having cancer can affect you mentally. if you have lung cancer they should
be checking to see if it has spread to your adrenal glande that can really make you lose it mentally.it can spread any where lymphnodes,brain,bones,blood ,kidneys,liver...... anywhere.My mom died from lung,bone,liver ,adrenal glande,kidney cancer .In a matter of weeks wish you the best of luck and may god be with you and your family.Cancer of any kind is such a horrible thing



Read more discussions :