Friday, November 20, 2009

Can too much exposure of dust result in Lung Cancer


Can too much exposure of dust result in Lung Cancer?
Hi I work at this shredding company and we shred books, papers, magazines, etc. However, there is so much dust where I work. After my first day on the job I would sneeze dust. This is a concern to me because I don't want to end up with any serious illnesses due to the dust. I am only going to be working there for three months albeit I wonder if although it is a short period of time, is it possible to develop lung cancer?
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Its possibly, can you wear a mask?
2 :
Cancer is not the biggest issue I would worry about. The chances of that are low from breathing in dust. On the other hand you can develop allergies and asthma. And something similar to black lung disease that coal miners would get from breathing in coal dust. I would definitely think about getting a mask.
3 :
According to the leading cancer research websites, cancer is caused by almost everything. My research on this question has revealed that the leading cancer research sites will tell you all the things that cause cancer and scary statistics, yet they fail to address what, about any of those things, actually causes cancer. The only thing that is actually known to cause cancer is radiation. So don't swallow any radiation sources and you should be fine. Dust isn't radioactive so I wouldn't worry if I were you.
4 :
No one knows what causes cancer and dust is not a risk factor, but why would you subject yourself to that? At least wear a mask. Call OSHA, something. You should know however, that many risk factors for several cancers tend to involve chronic irritation of tissues and this could be one of those situations.



 Read more discussions :